FTL Log Entry 4

Captain's Log, Day 4:

It seems we can't catch a break.  Today's jump brought us too close to a Class M supergiant star.  On top of that, there were pirates waiting for us.  I don't know if they were just oblivious to the danger or if they were trying to set up a trap, but I did know we had to get out of there in a hurry.

As Bjorn was charging the weapons, I noticed their weapon loadout would, in all likelihood, get absorbed by our shields.  Our new Engi crew member in the shield room reassured me that we had little to fear, but their defense drone would render our missiles useless.  So our main concern was going to be solar flares.  I had Bjorn focus laser fire on the enemy ship's engines.  I'd been tired of this crap luck for a while, and it was time for someone else to pay.

We disabled their engines with the first volley and refocused fire on their life support.  Right as our second volley took out their oxygen scrubber, we were rocked by a solar flare.  Fortunately, there was only a small fire.  Unfortunately, it was taking place in OUR oxygen scrubber.  I sent Aisha and Pipaluk to take out the fire and repair our oxygen system before we all suffocated.

With the oxygen scrubber repaired, the crew returned to their posts while our shields absorbed the incoming fire.  You know how they say that lightning never strikes the same spot twice?  I say bullshit.  We were hit by a second solar flare, igniting a large fire in our oxygen scrubber.  Again, I sent Aisha and Pipaluk to minimize the damage, telling them to signal me if it got too bad so I could just vent the room to space.  We got a spot of good luck when the second flare also took out the pirates.  Scavenging their remains, we found 2 unused fuel cells, a missile, and 18 scrap pieces that looked usable.

With the fire out and oxygen scrubber repaired, we had to jump as soon as the engines were ready to avoid more damage to the ship.  Staying close to this star would only cause us more problems.  Looking at the map, I noticed a nearby distress beacon.  So I did what any good captain would do, and set a course there.

When we arrived, there was a small ship struggling through an asteroid belt.  They hailed us immediately upon arrival and asked for our assistance as their shields were down.  My choices were to risk my ship and crew or watch as this poor transport was torn to shreds in front of me.  That's not really a choice, is it.  We went in after them to try to shield their ship with ours.  Unfortunately, we didn't do enough.  The ship was blown apart by the asteroids before any escape pods could launch.

We salvaged what we could, promising ourselves that their deaths would not be in vain.  That 13 scrap was all that was left of them.  I had a hard time flying out of the asteroid field, partly because I'm still shaken up by watching them die, which resulted in further damage to the ship.  Is that what the Rebels are doing to people?  Making them flee with only the barest essentials, into the vast and dangerous emptiness of space?  Then they have to be stopped.

Comments

Popular Posts